mb.com.ph | Philippine News | Archive | Metro
Home  » News » Metro

Metro

Customs foils P20-M rice smuggling try

Keeping a watchful eye on illegal shipments, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) foiled an attempt to smuggle P20-million worth of imported rice from China in the Port of Manila. BOC intercepted the illegal rice loaded in 12 container vans after the shipment was alerted by the agency’s Command Center last October 4  based on suspicious images captured by closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras in POM. “When they knew we seized and alerted (the rice shipment),they abandoned it immediately,” Customs Commissioner Nicanor Faeldon told reporters in yesterday’s media viewing. The BOC chief identified the shipment’s consignee as RPR International Trading, while the broker was Ibarra Tiangco. He ordered the suspension of their accreditation in the Department of Finance (DOF)-attached agency. The illegal rice shipment, consigned to RPR International Trading, was declared to contain leatherette upon arrival at …

Read More

Philippine Navy acquiring two frigates

The Philippine Navy is acquiring two frigates as it aims to be become strong and credible by year 2020. Defense Secretary DelfinLorenzanasigned the ceremonial contract of  the Frigate Acquisition Project, as the principal signatory, together with officials and delegates from Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) (Korea). The project, according to the Naval Public Affairs Office chief Captain Lued L. Lincuna, involves the construction and delivery of two units of frigate to the Philippine Navy. Lincuna said the signing of the contract signals the start of the construction and is the culmination of the long and tedious procurement process for the project. As a background, Lincuna said the Notice of Award was approved, issued and was duly conformed by HHI on Sept. 13, 2016 with the amount of USD $336, 912,000 or P15, 744,571,584.00. Witnessing the event …

Read More

DOLE says 18,000 workers to be regularized soon

Another 18,000 contractual workers are expected to be regularized soon, as the government continued with its intensified crackdown against illegal contractualization. In a statement, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) disclosed this was the remaining number of workers, whom they have identified to be victims of labor-only contracting, but have yet to be regularized by their employers. Citing the result of their nationwide audit of private companies, Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III said they were able to record 34,627 workers, who were being employed by 1,546 firms found practicing illegal labor-only contracting. “It is very clear that there are establishments which are violating the law,” Bello said. According to the Bureau of Working Conditions (BWC), only 16,000 of these affected workers were voluntarily regularized by their employers as of October this …

Read More

Deadline today for buses to apply for Undas out-of-line permits

Bus operators only have until 5:00 p.m. today, October 26, to apply for special permits for their units amid the expected influx of passengers on All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day. The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), for the looming holiday, will allow more Metro Manila and provincial buses to go out of line for those heading to provinces to commemorate their dead loved ones. The agency, through a board resolution, has lifted its limit on the number of buses that may be granted with special permits. Unlike previous years, operators may now apply for more than 25 percent of the total number their authorized units. The LTFRB also extended the effectiveness of special permits; from October 30 last year, the permits will be valid from October 29 to November 3. LTFRB …

Read More

Funeral industry review sought after QC unclaimed corpses discovery

A congressional resolution has been filed seeking a review of the rules and regulations governing the country’s funeral industry following the discovery last October 18 of at least 120 unclaimed, decomposing cadavers in a funeral home in La Loma, Quezon City. Kabataan party-list Rep. Sarah Elago cited the case of the Henry’s Funeral Parlor in filing House Resolution (HR) No. 488, noting that the funeral parlor's practices endanger the health of nearby residents. “In the Philippines, we have the Department of Health’s (DOH) Implementing Rules and Regulations on the Disposal of Dead Persons that prescribes proper procedures and requirements for burial, and requirements for crematorial and funeral establishments,” she noted in her measure. Elago also noted that despite the existence of the IRR to govern the processing of applications for location clearance of …

Read More

Makati announces closures, rerouting around South Cemetery for Undas

Makati’s traffic authorities have announced road closures and traffic rerouting around the Manila South Cemetery from October 31 to November 2. These are part of the “Oplan Kaluluwa 2016” of the Makati Public Safety Department (MAPSA) to ensure a solemn and orderly tradition for the All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day on November 1 and 2. MAPSA advises motorists that the following roads will be closed starting midnight of October 31 to midnight of November 2: Kalayaan Avenue from Zapote to N. Garcia Street South Avenue from Metropolitan to JP Rizal Street Vito Cruz from South Avenue to Zapote Street Pililia Street from JP Rizal to Kalayaan Avenue Meanwhile, two-way traffic will be allowed on the following streets: JP Rizal Street from Pasong Tirad to Makati Avenue Kalayaan Avenue from Pasong Tirad to Zapote One-way traffic will be in effect …

Read More

DOLE issues holiday pay rules

A “no work, no pay” scheme will take effect during the long weekend for the commemoration of All Saints Day next week, which was declared as a special non-working holiday. In an advisory, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said employees could spend Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, either on vacation or by opting to report for work to receive additional pay.  “The ‘no work, no pay’ principle shall apply unless there is a favorable company policy, practice, or collective bargaining agreement granting payment on a special day,” Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III said.  However, employees, who will go to work on a special holiday, will get extra pay as compensation.  “For work done during the special day, the workers shall be paid an additional 30 percent of their daily rate …

Read More

Science drama series on radio launched

The Department of Science and Technology – Science and Technology Information Institute (DOST-STII) on Sunday launched a radio drama series entitled “Handog ng Agham para sa Bayan” to bring science closer to the hearts of the Filipino people. The DOST-STII said that the drama series “features stories of success of individuals whose lives were made better through science and technology (S&T).” The drama series will air over DZRH 666 khz as a segment of “RadyoHenyo” program hosted by Angelo Palmones and Ruby Cristobal every Sunday, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. In its first episode last Oct. 23, Inno, who was the “DOST man”, served as the narrator of the drama series whose story tells of a bright boy from an urban poor family. His family sees a brighter future for him after qualifying …

Read More

Suspect in killing of AdU student found dead in jail

The second suspect in the gruesome killing of an 18-year-old Adamson University architecture student was found dead inside his detention cell in Taguig City, the Southern Police District (SPD) reported yesterday. Reynold Clave, 29, tagged in Nick Russel Oniot’s death last October 14, was found unconscious around 10:45 p.m. inside his cell at the Taguig City Police headquarters by his co-inmates, according to SPD director Chief Supt. Tomas Apolinario Jr. “Ang initial report na aking natanggap ay due to medical complexities, so baka na heatstroke or baka na heart attack sa loob ng kulungan,” (The initial report we got was he died due to medical complexities, he may have suffered a heart attack or heat stroke),” Apolinario told the Manila Bulletin. “Madalas na kasi may mga insidente na ganyan doon eh dahil sa …

Read More

Caritas supports relief operations

Eight Caritas Internationalis Member Organizations (CI MOs) have pledged their support to the Philippine Catholic Church’s on-going response to Typhoon Lawin (Haima). The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines National Secretariat for Social Action (NASSA) / Caritas Philippines said that  CAFOD (Caritas England and Wales), Caritas Belgium, Caritas New Zealand, and Development and Peace (Caritas Canada), Caritas Española, Caritas Luxembourg, Catholic Relief Services (Caritas USA) and Cordaid (Caritas Netherlands) have pledged to support relief operations. According to CBCP NASSA, Caritas Española and Caritas Luxembourg helped in finalizing their response plans while assessment teams from the Catholic Relief Services (Caritas USA) were deployed in Isabela. Cordaid (Caritas Netherlands) is set to join the rapid assessment, Monday. “As always, our heartfelt thanks to the Caritas family who worked side by side with us in bringing humanitarian …

Read More

Page 1 of 207123Next ›Last »