mb.com.ph | Philippine News | Author Archives | 3
Home » Entries posted by Samuel Medenilla (Page 3)
Samuel Medenilla

‘Rody’s diplomacy can save Mary Jane from death row’

Instead of his usual strongly worded statements, overseas Filipino workers’ advocacy groups are hoping that President Duterte will showcase his diplomacy during his bilateral talks with Indonesian President Joko Widodo today to secure the release of death row convict Mary Jane Veloso. “We call on Pres. Duterte to make a strong and urgent appeal for clemency for Mary Jane, an innocent victim of drug trafficking,” Migrante International Chairperson Garry Martinez said in a statement. Martinez insists Veloso is merely a victim of illegal drug traffickers and does not deserve her death sentence. Veloso, an overseas Filipino worker (OFW), is currently on death row in Indonesia for her drug trafficking charges filed way back in 2010. MARY JANE’S TESTIMONY “Many OFWs are now also like Mary Jane, who became a victim of drug syndicates,” Martinez said. Martinez …

Read More

DOLE releases P600,000 for victims

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) announced that it has released P600,000 in financial aid to the victims of the Davao bombing incident. Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the donation came from its attached agencies, the Employees Compensation Commission (ECC) and the Occupational Safety Health Center (OSHC). “I would like to thank both agencies for donating P300,000 each,” Bello said  during a press conference last Tuesday. He said they are currently trying to source more funds from their other attached agencies to give additional assistance to the Davao victims. Last week, at least 14 people died and at 60 others were injured after an improvised explosive detonated in a night market in Davao City. Authorities are still investigating the perpetrators of the recent attack, which led to the tightening of security …

Read More

DOLE confident private firms can afford P125 wage increase

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said yesterday it is confident employers will be able to afford its proposed P125 across-the-board wage hike for workers in the private sector. In an interview, Labor Undersecretary Joel Maglunsod claimed the amount will only comprise a small portion of the corporate profit of companies. “This is the same amount in the pending legislation filed by different party list. If this will be granted, it will only be a 17 percent reduction in their corporate profits,” Maglunsod said. The labor official made the assurance after the DOLE announced yesterday the start of its nationwide consultation for the implementation of the proposed P125 additional pay hike. Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the amount could still be higher or lower than the prescribed P125 by the …

Read More

Gov’t checking on OFWs affected by Hanjin bankruptcy – DOLE

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said yesterday it is now tracking down overseas Filipino workers (OFW) who may be affected by the recent bankruptcy of a large shipping firm in South Korea. Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III disclosed he has already ordered DOLE's attached agencies to check if the financial woes of Hanjin Shipping Co. (HSC) have already affected OFW. In compliance to Bello's directive, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) said it coordinated with the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in South Korea and local manning agencies to inquire if they have received reports of OFWs who were retrenched by HSC. "So far, we have not received any reported displacement," POEA deputy administrator Amuerfina Reyes said. Bello urged displaced OFWs who are employed by the seventh largest shipping firm …

Read More

DOLE tracks down OFWs affected by Hanjin Shipping bankruptcy

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said it is now tracking down overseas Filipino workers (OFW), who may be affected by the recent bankruptcy of a large shipping firm in South Korea. Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III disclosed he has already ordered DOLE's attached agencies to check if the financial woes of Hanjin Shipping Co. (HSC) has already affected any OFW. In compliance to Bello's directive, the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) said it coordinated with the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in South Korea and local manning agencies to inquire if they have received reports of OFWs, who were retrenched by HSC. "So far, we have not received any reported displacement," POEA deputy administrator Amuerfina Reyes said in an interview. Bello urged displaced OFWs, who are employed by the seventh …

Read More

More workers arrive from Saudi

More retrenched Filipino migrant workers from Saudi Arabia (KSA) arrived in the country Sunday afternoon as the Philippine government stepped up its repatriation efforts. In a text advisory, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported that 119 workers arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), bringing the number of repatriated workers from Saudi Arabia to 475. DOLE earlier said around 2,000 of the 11,000 Filipinos who lost their jobs after nine large Saudi firms closed are expected to be repatriated this month. It said 1,700 workers have already been brought home. To help the families of some of the displaced workers, the recruitment industry has launched a fund-raising campaign, “SOS Saudi,” The campaign aims to raise P2 million for 1,000 families. Recruitment consultant Emmanuel Geslani said in a statement the nationwide distribution of relief …

Read More

Preparations for Barangay, SK polls in limbo

Except for the voter's registration, the Commission on Election (Comelec) has temporarily stopped all its preparatory activities for the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections. Last week, the election body announced it has indefinitely suspended the printing of official ballots in anticipation of the passage of a new legislation in Congress seeking to reset the dates for the twin elections from Oct. 31 this year to October next year. Comelec Spokesman James Jimenez pointed out that Comelec also opted to apply the moratorium on the procurement of election supplies and paraphernalia like envelopes, padlocks, fingerprint pads and pens. “Other preparations have been suspended as well, for instance the bidding processes,” Jimenez said in an interview. He said the suspension also covers even those parties, which were already selected in the bidding process and are …

Read More

OFW one-stop centers to be opened in Caraga, Cordillera regions

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said it has tapped local government units (LGU) to put up two additional one-stop service centers for overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) and in Caraga. The facility in Caraga, which will be opened to the public on Sept. 12, 2016 will be located at the Butuan City Hall. Meanwhile, DOLE pointed out it is still negotiating with the LGU of Baguio to a set up the One-Stop Service Center for OFWs (OSSCO) for CAR at the Baguio City Hall. Once operational, both facilities will allow to aspiring OFWs to secure all of their documentary requirements, when working abroad, in a single location. The two new OSSCOs will be managed by the personnel of DOLE’s regional offices.

Read More

Job applicants catch illegal recruiter, earn P50,000

For catching one of the recruiters who had scammed them, 200 aspiring migrant workers have earned a P50,000 reward. The applicants had filed a case of illegal recruitment against Osmando Habilag, 63, who owns Bantayog Travel and Tours, and his associates, Alejandro Navarro and Veraflor de los Reyes. According to the Department of Labor and Employment, four of the applicants spotted Habilag in a fastfood restaurant in Quiapo, Manila, last Tuesday. The applicants pointed him out to the authorities who arrested him. Habilag was later brought to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group office in Camp Crame for an inquest. “After the inquest investigation…he will face a large scale illegal recruitment, which is a non-bailable offense,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said. But the four applicants and their fellow victims were in for a surprise: they …

Read More

More displaced Saudi OFWs to be repatriated this month

Another 2,000 displaced overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) are scheduled to be repatriated this month. Labor and Employment Secretary Silvestre Bello III disclosed the bulk of these OFWs will soon be arriving in the country. “The goal is to repatriate the first batch of 2,000 OFWs between August 20 and the first week of September,” Bello said. He issued the statement yesterday with the arrival of the initial batch of 129 OFWs at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) in Pasay City. The 129 OFWs, who were among the 11,000 Filipinos retrenched by nine large Saudi establishments, were met by President Duterte together with Bello, and Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay. GOV’T ASSISTANCE Bello urged the remaining OFWs to also avail of the government’s ongoing repatriation program to avoid their …

Read More